Welcome to class!
2017-2018 is going to be a great year! As most of you know, history is one of my favorite subjects and I hope you will enjoy this year's class.
Important information about class:
- I am available for extra help if you need it during lunch and study hall. It is YOUR responsibility to find me and ask for help.
- I have a mostly paper-free class. Please get comfortable with Word, Powerpoint, email functions, and checking email regularly.
- You are in 7th & 8th grade, expectations for your conduct and work are high
- You are responsible for all work, due date, & grades in this class (hw, projects, group work, etc.)
- You are responsible for the atmosphere in this class (Class can be super fun, if you let it be fun)
- You keep track of your homework assignments and their due dates. Turn homework in as soon as you complete it. I may not give a reminder to turn in homework but it is still due the following day. You must send it through email before the next class.
- It is HIGHLY unlikely that I will make exceptions or extend due dates for HW, projects, etc.
- ALWAYS COME TO CLASS PREPARED. You will rarely be allowed to go back to your locker to get things you forgot.
- I do not create extra credit work.
- I will take 10% off of any assignment for everyday it is late. If it is over 10 days late or we have moved into a new unit, that opportunity is lost.
- Homework questions and unit reviews will be very helpful when test time comes around as study guides. Be sure to do the work.
- You will have homework 3-4 nights per week.
- Homework should always be in your own words, in complete sentences, and answered thoroughly.
- DO YOUR OWN WORK, PLEASE! I don't mind when you ask for help from another student, but do not give answers, let them figure it out.
- Note-taking is essential in this class. On most days, I will lecture with power points and you will need to take notes. Pay attention and add to the discussions- and you will be fine.
- There is no text book for this class- all powerpoint notes will be placed online after they have been covered in class. You still must take notes during class. All handouts must be kept in your binder.
- This website is very important for you. Save it to your favorites. All notes, projects, test reviews, homework, and due dates will be here.
- I am flexible with your study guides. Whatever works for you, do it (notecards, quilt, etc.) I will give you time in class to create study guides. If it is clear your technique is not working, it will be changed. (8th Grade, you *might* have time, sometimes)
- 7th Grade: we will be covering American History: Immigration, Industrial Revolution, America as a World Power, WWI, The Roaring Twenties, and The Depression.
- 8th Grade: we will be continuing our history of America of the 20th Century. We will be moving into the WWII, Cold War, Korean War, the 1950s, and the 1960s. Also, please be prepared for many group projects/assignments in class. This will help prepare you for high school.